Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Cure

So far this semester, school seems to be sucking the life out of me. Everyday I feel like I'm treading water, just trying to stay afloat. This past weekend I went to New Orleans with my family to celebrate my sister's birthday. It was only a matter of hours before I was feeling like myself again. This city is definitely one of my favorites. It has such a unique life of it's own, an internal rhythm, a heartbeat. The history, the culture, the music, the food, the art. It is a place I could run away to. I could completely abandon my left brain and embrace creativity. I would read, write and make music. I could trade in my classical piano training for some jazz. So if life is ever getting you down, try visiting New Orleans for a cure.

A daily dose of beignets (that's 4 times in 4 days)

Preservation Hall was an amazing jazz club. As good as it gets. 

I love the street music. It's not just the brass instruments but I watched a violinist, an electric guitar player, I even saw someone playing a kora (African harp) There was also an occopelo group and I loved watching/listening to two guys tap dancing on drain covers in the street.


I was sitting in Cafe du Monde eating beignets and listening to this saxophone player. Total bliss.

This was after a day of biking around New Orleans (more to come)


Gathering around my great aunt and uncle to hear their incredible stories.

There are not very many tourists in New Orleans in August (supposed to be 1000 degrees) And along with the rain, the streets were mostly empty during the day. We felt like we were walking on a movie set.




Bourbon St was still packed at night.


Louisiana Sunset

1 comment: