Thursday, August 23, 2012

NOLA Favorite Things

These are a few of my favorite things...we did in New Orleans.

My sister wanted to go on this bicycle tour for her birthday and I am so glad we did. It was just Sarah, Josh and me plus a cute Australian couple. We biked all through New Orleans and we had the BEST tour guide. It was so much fun, I am now shopping for a bike.
The tour was by Confederacy of Cruisers (website)

Our tour guide with NOCCA in the background. The school of performing arts.

The bike tour stopped at the house my grandmother grew up in on Royal St. It was flooded during Katrina but survived.

I just love how the asphalt crumbles away to reveal an old brick road, sometimes cobblestones. 

I love my great Aunt Dot. She reminds me so much of my grandmother. So smart, witty and hilarious. We are constantly laughing. I can't wait to visit again.

Max watching football with Uncle John. Geaux Saints!!

We visited William Faulkner's old house and now the front room is a book store. The current owners who live there told us sometimes you can smell fresh pipe tobacco, maybe Williams ghost.


I will own this Jane Austen set one day.

I ended up purchasing this copy of Great Expectations. This was my first book love affair, I read it three times as a child.

Sister slumber parties and our lovely pineapple hair. (another joy of having curly hair)

Jackson square. Such a cool place with palm readers, tarot cards and art galleries right in front of Saint Louis Cathedral.

We went to the hurricane Katrina museum. It is definitely a must see. I was in boarding school at the time of the hurricane and we didn't have cable, newspapers, magazines or internet so I actually missed the whole thing. My cousins who live in New Orleans, were there through everything. Their house was completely destroyed and they took refuge in the superdome trudging through the raw sewage. I will have to share their unbelievable story sometime.



Dinner at Irene's! (twice) I literally cried the food was so good. On my sisters birthday we had a giant three course dinner at 11 pm. The restaurant had closed and we had the whole place to ourselves. All the waiters sang to her and we had such a good time. If you go, you have to get the bananas foster bread pudding. It is to die for.

Birthday kiss

Shopping

Stop taking pictures of us mom.

Another highlight of our trip was Dr Bob's art studio. Dr Bob used to be homeless and salvaged old wood and bottle caps to make art that he displayed and sold around New Orleans. Most of his art features his slogan "Be Nice or Leave". Now he is a famous folk artist and one of his pieces will be featured in the White House library in DC. Bob told us the secret service came picked the worst piece of art he had.


Dr Bob and his dog George. He is such a cool and quirky guy. He even gave Max a lagniappe, which means a little something extra. Sort of a gift from store owners, Bob picked out a piece of art and gave it to Max.


And of course I could not list my favorite things without beignets :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment