Monday, February 6, 2012

Symptoms and Side Effects

I am deep in my second semester of PA school, already seriously behind and drowning in my school work. This semester I am taking pharmacology and I have a running list of serious symptoms and side effects of being a PA student. Now there is definite variations between individuals but these are from my own personal experience. 
1. Decreased cognition:  I have always prided myself on being prepared, punctual and staying on top of things. Not anymore! I cannot remember anything to save my life. I have to set reminders for every little thing. I forget my homework, my lap top, pens, pencils, physical exam equipment. I forget everyone's birthday. I also make frequent embarrassing mistakes. I try to unlock the door to others people apartments at my complex. I put the ice cream away in the fridge. Now I know I have been guilty of these kinds of things in the past, but now it is much more frequent, almost a daily occurrence.
2. Skin conditions: Terrible, horrible, no good, very bad acne. The kind you got when you were a hormone raging 13 year old, its back. I also get dry skin rashes on my torso. My dermatologist told me it was from stress and I didn't believe her until it went away over the Christmas break and came back the second week of school.
3. Food cravings: My diet seems to be exclusively unhealthy food. I crave soda, sugar and fat pretty constantly. I have to have a continual stash of candy and cheez-its at home for when I'm studying. I would have gained 20 pounds if it weren't for the fact that stress seems to boost my metabolism.
4. Sunday night syndrome: A sinking feeling of dread, of the week to come. Can also occur other nights of the week too.

I also have a running list of contraindications for attending PA school, but since that includes everything good and enjoyable, it is too long to write out.

Studying. Can you can spot the two boxes of cheez-its in this picture?

A small part of my candy stash.

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing! Even with how hard PA school is, you still somehow look adorable!

    ReplyDelete