Monday, November 21, 2011

An MRI Horror Story

For the last seven months I have been having problems with my back and today I went to get an MRI. When I walked into the imaging center I immediately knew something was not quite right. It was a very sketchy place and smelled terrible. It also is never a good sign when they give you five different forms to fill out involving injury attorneys and medical lawsuits. I was quickly called back and the receptionist took me down a hallway and out through the back door. We went through what only can be described as a "backyard" and up some steps into a freezing cold, smelly trailer. I know, it sounds like the beginning of a horror movie.

In one corner of the trailer there was a little curtain to undress behind and change into a gown. Once I came out of the dressing room, I took about 5 steps to the MRI machine. I laid down on the hard table which was smaller than me! Next they cranked up the table to the level of the MRI and pushed me in. I have had MRIs before and this is the smallest machine I have ever seen. As I was sliding in, my arms were pushed in by the sides of the machine. I don't think I would have fit if I were any bigger. I think it was an MRI machine for children. Now I have never considered myself claustrophobic, but once I was all the way in, I felt like I was in a coffin and my heart began to race. I then closed my eyes and tried to pretend I was on a beach through all the pounding. (Why is it whenever you are in a creepy situation and you close your eyes, all you can think about is horror movies? I don't think the pounding helped)

After what seemed like an hour, the tech pulled me out and began trying to ask me a question. He didn't speak English but I eventually figured out he was just checking to make sure I wasn't wearing a bra...the procedure hadn't even begun. He then pushed me back in and another 3 hours passed by (really only 45 min) and then it was all over. I went back to the "changing room", got dressed and made sure all my belongings were still in my purse. I then made the trek out of the trailer and waited for them to put the scans on a disk so I would not have to return. Whew. Luckily I am still alive and I now I can say I have had an MRI in trailer.  See for yourself, it's pretty creepy.

The dressing room: They were nice to provide a lock box, however, the key was metal so what was I supposed to do with it?


 I tried to snap a pic while I was running as fast as I could.

                                                                         The trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment