Tuesday, January 29, 2013

2012 Book of Books

A while back my sister recommended I start a Book of Books (BOB) to keep track of everything I read. This year I have been recording the books I read in a leather journal. I love my BOB. I feel like it's more personal than a journal, what I read is a large part of who I am. I wanted to share my list, hopefully you will find something to read.

Here is my criteria for rating books:
5 Stars: This book changed my life and I will never be the same. I want to read this book again.
4 Stars: A book that is both incredibly well written and an amazing story.
3 Stars: A good/great book that I would recommend to others. It is well written or has a great story.
2 Stars: The book was just ok, I would not recommend it.
1 Star: This book was terrible and not worth the paper it was printed on.

I did not read any 1 or 2 star books this year, mainly because almost all the books I read were excellent recommendations from my sis. I grouped the books by rating and listed them in alphabetical order .

Five Stars
The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp Sendker
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
The Girls by Lori Lansens
Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann
Mudbound by Hiliary Jordan
Room by Emma Donoghue
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

Four Stars
American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld
Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut
The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller
The Dogs of Babel by Carolyn Parkhurst
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez 
The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
The Lost Saints of Tennessee by Amy Franklin-Willis
The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides
The Middlesteins by Jami Attenberg
The Rapture of Canaan by Sheri Reynolds
Silver Sparrow by Tayari Jones
Truth and Beauty by Ann Patchett

3 Stars 
And When She Was Good by Laura Lippman
Animal Farm by George Orwell
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Autobiography of a Face by Lucy Grealy
Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson
The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka
Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
Getting to Happy by Terry McMillan
 Home Safe by Elizabeth Berg
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Kindness of Strangers by Katrina Kittle
The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman
A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
Peony in Love by Lisa See
Rush Home Road by Lori Lansens

Meet my BOB

No comments:

Post a Comment