Wednesday, April 4, 2012

ODD

I am going to share with you a story my mom loves to tell about me.  When I was 2 years old, my mom was cooking and told me not to touch the stove because it was hot and I would burn myself. I reached out my hand toward the burner and my mother grabbed it and told me again very sternly not to touch the stove. As soon as I could, I reached out again and touched the hot stove. I burned my hand pretty bad but didn't shed one tear. My mom says I would never give her the satisfaction of letting her know she was right.

To be honest, I have been diagnosed before by medical professionals with oppositional defiance disorder, (O.D.D.) which I always thought was a load of crap. I was recently studying for a psychology test and came across a description of children with O.D.D. I could not help but think of this story. Now I'm sure lots of kids touch hot burners after being told not to, but I am most proud of the fact that I managed not to scream or cry. After discussing it with my mom we both decided I do not have ODD, I am just very "strong-willed". I like the sound of that better.

She also reminded me that on my first day of kindergarten, I refused to let her or my dad take me to school. I wanted to walk to school, which was a few blocks away, all by myself. I told her that I knew where the school was and I could get there on my own. That same day was my sister's first day of sixth grade and my mom could not pry my sister from her. My sister wanted my mom to stay with her at school the entire day. I don't think you could find two sisters more opposite than us.  Our poor parents

This story would not be complete without some cute/embarrassing pictures.



Notice my shirt says "Sarah", the joys of being a second child.



1 comment:

  1. Yeah!!! I remember all those photos. Not that I was there when they were being taken but the time frame. Good times... Oh and be care of the psych courses you'll end up diagnosing yourself and everyone around you when really it's just called normalcy. I think they should try to put that diagnosis in the books.

    ReplyDelete