Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Starstruck

Recently, my sister invited me to go see Markus Zusak, author of The Book Thief, speak at a Dallas high school’s litfest. The topic was on writing and this man definitely knows how to captivate an audience. He shared some personal stories, one minute the auditorium would be completely silent, hanging onto every word, you could hear a pin drop. The next minute the audience would be gasping with surprise and roaring with laughter. Next, he went through and dissected out what made them such great stories. I was completely starstruck by this man’s talent. His good looks and charming Australian accent helped too.

I recently read his novel, The Book Thief, and it is in the top 5 books I have ever read. It is an incredible story set in Nazi Germany told from death's point of view. When I heard what the book was about, I was not looking forward to reading it. I already felt like I had read enough WW2 books and then to be narrated by death? This couldn't possibly be an enjoyable experience. I was completely surprised in the best possible way. I would recommend this book to everyone. The Book Thief has been very successful. It's an international bestseller and published in over 30 languages. Add it to your to-read list!




A big thank you to the Highland Park High School PTA for footing the bill for Markus's first class flight from Australia.

You will be surprised.

"I wanted to to tell the book thief many things, about beauty and brutality, but what could I tell her about those things that she didn't already know? I wanted to explain that I am constantly overestimating and underestimating the human race-that rarely do I ever simply estimate it. I wanted to ask her how the same thing could be so ugly and so glorious, and its words and stories so damning and brilliant."
-Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

No comments:

Post a Comment