Thursday, June 21, 2012

Bad News Dreams

I just received my "dream sheets" to fill out in PA school. In eight months I will be done with my didactic education and going into clinical rotations for a year. The rotations are mostly all laid out except for two extra specialties that you get to pick. On the dream sheet I have to decide my top three picks for these rotations. Sounds exciting right? Nope, you see all my life I have had this problem where I love and enjoy way more things than life will allow. Going into high school I loved to play tennis, piano, guitar, sing, run, etc. and everyone was always telling me that I have to chose. I hate having to chose. In college I loved to study English, psychology, music, environmental biology, and history. But I had to chose. Then when it came time to applying to medical school, I was taking an mcat prep course and then it hit me that soon I would have to decide what  I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I quickly realized that was not for me. I found out about the PA profession and it had a lot more flexibility. I could change specialties as much as I wanted and still have time for a life. But now they give me a dream sheet and expect to check a box. Well I don't have three dreams...I have hundreds. But I will choose three and I'm sure it will all work out fine. In high school I chose tennis, in college I chose environmental science and now I will chose again, but it will not be without stress and frustration.

Trying to fill out my dream sheet.

Cardiology? Rheumatology? Oncology? Neurology? Dermatology? Endocrinology? Pulmonology?
So many ologys.

No comments:

Post a Comment