Friday, October 31, 2014

Confessions of a Bookworm

Being the bookworm that I am, last weekend was my 3rd trip to the Texas Book Festival in Austin. I look forward every year to going to hear authors speak about their book in the capital, and then getting to meet and have them sign my book. I am developing quite the book collection. (nerd alert!) It sometimes can be a double edged sword when you go to hear an author speak and they turn out to be real dud or jerk but it is still worth it when you find new great authors and books to read.


"But is it a true first edition, first printing?"
If you love all things books, you must visit The Book People in Austin.

 Team Vonnegut on the way to the book festival, yes that is a suitcase of books.




Standing room only.


Sexist bingo at the lit crawl.


We always have such a good time!


If you are looking for a book to read I highly recommend The Son by Phillip Meyer, he was at the book festival this year. The book was incredible and it was a finalist for the Pulitzer prize this year. It is an epic that spans 3 generations of family and 200 years in south Texas on the great frontier and subsequent oil boom. The book is very well written and has cowboys, Indians, even the Germans in Fredricksburg.  It was so fun to read about the characters drinking pearl beer when my grammie used to be their bookkeeper at the brewery in San Antonio. I can safely say I learned more about Texas history in this book than I did in my 12 years of Texas history in grade school and I could not put it down! (I must warn you there are a couple gory scenes between the Indians and Texan that stayed true to the history.)

No comments:

Post a Comment